Caughlin Ranch Elementary School History

School Name History:
The Caughlin Ranch Elementary School is named in honor of the Caughlin family who
were among the first settlers in the Truckee Meadows. The Caughlin family played a key
role in the area’s early history. The ranch itself remained in the family for five
generations. The original ranch house, moved from Virginia City to Reno in 1900,
hosted many prominent citizens of the day including Bret Harte and Mark Twain. This
school site was dedicated by the Caughlin Ranch Partnership (Sam Jaksick and Alan
Means, General Partners).
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Bill H. Bowden J. Kay Loudon
Kevin R. Christensen Virginia S. Palmer
Doranna D. Goodnight Edward Van Gorder
Douglas R. Hill Robert G. Whittemore
Robert E. Kirchner Michael A. Wright
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Marvin Moss
Opening Date: 1990
Architect: Sheehan Van Woert Architects
Contractor: Clark and Sullivan Constructors
Construction Cost: $3,691,351
Square Footage: 51,546
Cornerstone Dates: AD 1990, AL 5990
First Principal: Barbara McLaury
Physical Building Description:
Cinder block, single story construction with interior circulation corridors, library, multipurpose room/cafeteria, and classrooms for K-6.