Edward C. Reed High School History

This school was named in honor of Edward C. Reed, an attorney and senior United States Judge for the District of Nevada. He served on the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees for sixteen years from 1957 to 1972. During his tenure, he served as Board president for three years and Board vice-president for two years. As a Board member, he
was involved in the planning and construction of nineteen schools. He was instrumental in promoting the first joint-use agreements with the cities of Reno and Sparks to develop community recreational facilities on District property. As stated on the school’s plaque, “His faith in and dedication to our youth have been an inspiration to our community.”

First Graduating Class: 1976
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Lloyd Diedrichsen Nancy Gomes
Ernest M. Johnson H. Elizabeth Lenz
Robert McQueen Donald Mustard
William A. O’Brien, III Edward L. Pine
Edward C. Reed, Jr. Jerry Carr Whitehead
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Marvin Picollo
Opening Date: January, 1974
Architect: Selden and Nespor
Contractor: McKenzie Construction
Construction Cost: $7,204,215
Square Footage: 247,490
Cornerstone Dates: AD 1974, AL 5974
First Principal: Ken Williams
Physical Building Description:
Single story with a combination of cinder block and precast concrete panel walls. It has interior circulation corridors, a courtyard (also used for circulation), two gymnasiums, a theater, a library, a cafeteria, and shop and lab rooms in addition to general purpose classrooms.