Edward L. Pine Middle School History

Dr. Edward L. Pine, for whom the school was named, was a professor of civil engineering at the
University of Nevada who served as a school trustee for twenty years from 1956 to 1976.
During these years of rapid growth, he served four terms as president of the school board.
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Lloyd Diedrichsen Nancy Gomes
Ernest Johnson Elizabeth Lenz
Robert McQueen Donald Mustard
William A. O’Brien, III Edward L. Pine
Edward C. Reed, Jr. Jerry Carr Whitehead
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Marvin Picollo
Opening Date: 1976 (January)
Architect: Raymond Hellman AIA
Contractor: Johnson and Mape Construction Company
Construction Cost: $3,665,500
Square Footage: 104,963
Cornerstone Dates: AD 1975, AL 5975
First Principal: Chet Green
Physical Building Description:
Two-story, precast concrete panel walls with interior circulation corridors, a gymnasium, a library, multipurpose room/cafeteria and lab rooms in addition to general classrooms