School Name History:
In 1949, the Washoe County Commissioners approved the establishment of the Natchez School. Natchez is the Spanish version of a Paiute word meaning boy. Chief Natchez was the famous Peace Chief of the Paiute tribe. The school became part of the Washoe County School District in 1956.
The Natchez Elementary School was moved into a new building in 1972. The school is located in Wadsworth, Nevada.
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Lloyd Diedrichsen H. Elizabeth Lenz
Robert McQueen Donald Mustard
William A. O’Brien, III Edward L. Pine
Edward C. Reed, Jr.
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Opening Date: 1972
Architect: Vhay & Ferrari
Contractor: Johnson-Boscovich, Inc.
Construction Cost: $423,650
Square Footage: 21,451
Cornerstone Dates: 1973 (Cornerstone placed on flagpole)
First Principal: Rudy Talso
Physical Building Description:
Cinder block, single story construction with interior circulation corridors. There was a subsequent modular building of steel and wood added with interior circulation.