Sparks High School History

The school is named for the city in which it is located. The City of Sparks is named after former Nevada Governor John Sparks. Sparks High School was first housed in the basement of Robert Mitchell School (the predecessor to the current Robert Mitchell Elementary School) from 1909 – 1918. The first Sparks High School building was in use from 1918 – 1951. It became Sparks Junior High school when the present Sparks High
School building opened in 1951 and was added to in multiple additions from 1957 through 1972.
First Graduating Class: 1954
Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:
Archie Clayton
Agnes Risley
Superintendent of Schools at time of construction:
Procter Hug, Sr., Superintendent, Sparks School District (1951)
Opening Date: 1951
Architect: DeLongchamps & O’Brien
Contractor: Wine Construction Company
Construction Cost: $786,934
Square Footage: 167,373
Cornerstone Dates: None found
First Principal: Edwin (Tip) Whitehead
Physical Building Description:
A two-story, red brick building which was constructed in multiple, add-on phases. It has interior circulation corridors, two gymnasiums, a theater, a library, and lab/shop rooms, in addition to general purpose classrooms.